All the President’s Men
Dir: Alan J. Pakula
USA, 1976, 138min, DCP
Cast: Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford, Jason Robards, Hal Holbrook
40 years after it was released, Alan J. Pakula’s thrilling dramatization of The Washington Post ’s investigation of the 1972 Watergate break-in remains as prescient as ever. Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman are both electric as the dedicated journalists Woodward and Bernstein, whose reporting exposed endemic corruption within the US government that led all the way to President Nixon himself. A classic of ‘70s paranoia, all the more terrifying because it actually happened, Pakula’s Oscar-winning classic reminds us how essential a free press is to a properly-functioning democracy. Above all else, however, All the President’s Men champions an attitude towards transparency and journalistic integrity that has all but become extinct in the current era, where political regimes and shareholders control the media, and clicks are valued more highly than facts.
1977 4 Academy Awards including Best Actor in a Supporting Role and Best Writing
Back to The Screen
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- K11 Art House (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- MOViE MOViE (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. For screenings at ALL commercial cinemas, tickets are available at URBTIX till 5:00pm one day before respective screenings. After that, tickets will be available only at the box office of the screening venue on the day of screening, subject to availability.
3. Screenings at HK Arts Centre, HK Film Archive and Tai Kwun: For screenings that are about to start in 1 hour, all remaining tickets can only be bought at the box offices of the respective screening venues.
4. For the sold-out screenings at HK Arts Centre and HK Film Archive, a limited number of standing tickets are available at the URBTIX Outlets of the respective venues 30 minutes prior to the screening time. Seating is not guaranteed and subject to availability 30 minutes after the screening time. Each person can purchase 1 standing ticket. The availability of standing tickets is subject to change without prior notice.
5. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till 1 hour prior to the respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
6. While it is the HKIFFS’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, the HKIFFS will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.