Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Dir: Werner Herzog
West Germany, 1972, 93 mins, DCP
Cast: Klaus Kinski, Helena Rojo, Del Negro, Peter Berling
Herzog’s Heart of Darkness is about obsession, an experimentation of cinematic realism paired with an extreme sense of surreality. Laced with legendary incidents during shooting, this riveting epic is about a catastrophic expedition of the Spanish conquistadors into the Peruvian rainforest in search of the lost city of gold, ending up in a futile conquest in unforgiving despair. Kinski invests Aguirre with a frightening intensity, an acute manifestation of what greed and madness can bring human beings to. Herzog’s overwhelming vision, not just of the havoc of civilization, but of the insanity in man, is unmatched even in Coppola’s Apocalypse Now (1979).
1976 French Syndicate of Cinema Critics, Best Foreign Film
2005 TIME Magazine’s All-Time 100 Movies
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.