À propos de Nice/ Taris: Champion de France/ Zéro de Conduite
Dir: Jean Vigo
France, 1930/1931/1933, 25/9/44min, DCP
Wondrous beginnings! À propos de Nice , Vigo’s initial collaboration with co-director Boris Kaufman (brother of Russian giant Dziga Vertov), looked beyond the palms and the Promenade des Anglais to reveal the labor and poverty of Nice as well as the resilience captured in moments of carnival. In Taris: Champion de France , Vigor and Kaufman transformed a prosaic subject into a formal symphony, as a race morphs into an analysis of swimming that is soon eclipsed by the sheer physicality of body, light, water and photography as a medium. Finally, vision and form meshed in Zéro de Conduite, a spirited and critical tale of boys’ rebellion in a repressive boarding school. It alarmed censors but inspired both Truffaut (remember The 400 Blows  as you watch) and Lindsay Anderson’s If… (1968). This restored version is embedded with newly discovered images that is shown for the first time after being censored.
À propos de Nice, From The Complete Jean Vigo Blu-ray Collector’s Set by The Criterion Collection
À propos de Nice/ Taris: Champion de France/ Zéro de Conduite, From Il Cinema Ritrovato 2017 Festival catalogue
Zéro de Conduite, From The Complete Jean Vigo Blu-ray Collector’s Set by The Criterion Collection
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.