A One and a Two a.k.a. Yi Yi
Dir: Edward Yang
2000, Mandarin, 173 mins, DCP
Cast: Wu Nien-Jen, Jonathan Chang, Elaine Jin, Kelly Lee
A decade after A Brighter Summer Day , Yang again used a family to scrutinize 21st century Taipei life. Mom wants to take time off in the monastery; and Pa, in a mid-life crisis, meets his first love again. Little Brother suddenly finds his classmate adorable. Traumatised by adolescent love, Older Sister receives comfort from the miraculously awaken Grandma. The title reminds us to look at life’s complexity in an easy way, last words from the master.
2000 Cannes Film Festival, Best Director
Lecture: approximately 1 hour. Conducted in Cantonese.
Edward Yang , 1 0 -year Commemoration
Full House 12/11/2017 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.