A Night at the Opera
Dir: Sam Wood
USA, 1935, 91 mins, DCP
Cast: Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx, Margaret Dumont, Kitty Carlisle, Allan Jones
Comedy as a family affair where the verbal (and silent) acrobatics of Groucho, Chico and Harpo Marx highlight the sheer surreal choreography of their interactions, whether stuffing a stateroom beyond human capacity, turning an opera house into a circus or simply demolishing the language of law (and art and high society). With Margaret Dumont as the classic grand dame foil and even a tender love story thrown in, the brothers skewer class, culture and every pretense in a hilarious classic of American cinema that delights us more with every viewing.
A Night at the Opera, From 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider (N.Y: Barron’s, 2003)
#12 in American Film Institute’s “100 Years…100 Laughs” (2000)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.