A Man Escaped (Un condamné à mort s'est échappé ou Le vent souffle où il veut)
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1956, 101min, DCP
Cast: François Leterrier, Charles Le Clainche
A quintessential Bresson masterpiece. This haunting story is based on the actual memoirs of a Frenchman, André Devigny, who escaped from a Nazi prison. A true story yet transmogrified in Bresson’s hands into a pilgrimage of redemption, a film of a man facing death yet seeking more, bit by bit, among others. Here, his auteurial vision draws from a time of horror the director himself had known, interwoven with Mozart and changed utterly into this classic film.
1957 Cannes Film Festival, Best Director
Beyond the Wall: The Phantom of Liberty Post-screening seminar
Date: 15.12.2018 (SAT)
Venue: Tai Kwun JC Cube
Speaker: Ernest Chan and Kiki Fung
Free Admission．Conducted in Cantonese
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.