A Gentle Woman (Une femme douce)
Dir: Robert Bresson
France, 1969, 88min, DCP
Cast: Dominique Sanda, Guy Frangin, Jeanne Lobre
A meditation on shared loneliness, and also one of Bresson’s most sensual and secular films. The center of the film is Elle, incarnated by the exquisite Dominique Sanda (The Conformist, 1970) in her debut role, whom we nonetheless first meet as a body on the streets of Paris. Flashbacks allow us to glimpse her life and loves, including the passionate but misunderstood husband, Luc and their vain attempts at diversion. Another dialogue of Bresson and Dostoevsky (from the Russian story, The Gentle Creature) and the first venture of the ascetic director into color.
1969 San Sebastián International Film Festival, Silver Seashell for Best Director
Filmmakers on Bresson_Jonas Mekas, From Robert Bresson by James Quandt (Toronto: Cinematheque Ontario, 1998)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Louis Koo Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.