A Brighter Summer Day (Gulingjie shaonian sharen shijian)
Dir: Edward Yang
1991, Mandarin, 237 mins, DCP
Cast: Chang Chen, Lisa Yang, Chang Guo-Zhu, Elaine Jin
Yang’s monumental film carries a vision and impact unmatched in Chinese language cinema for years. A deliberately forgotten era was painstakingly reconstructed, by music, words, and the subtle rapport of neighborhood characters. Through the eyes of a teenager (Chang Chen) we recover episodic moments of Taiwan’s history, seeing how mounting oppression resulted in murderous consequences. The summer sun is glimmering, but not in people’s hearts. Yang was still longing for that bright(er) summer day, whether or not it would come. Newly restored version.
Edward Yang , 10-year Commemoration
FULL 27/08/2017 (Sun)
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Tai Kwun (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.