Dir: Abbas Kiarostami
Iran, 2017, 120 mins, DCP
A life of bringing images to life, Kiarostami waved his farewell with a mesmerizing touch of nature in 24 frames, inviting us to contemplate his imagination of the truth and the reality. From the first frame of Bruegel’s painting “The Hunters in the Snow”, to his photographs depicting beaches or woodlands, the sheer purity of imagery is animated into a sedate portrait of wildlife in each four-and-a-half-minute segment. The aesthetic of nature, whether it is a pair of horses courting each other or a seagull mourning over its mate shot dead, is transcended into a meditative experience. A song. A kiss. A spark of color. Kiarostami never forgets to remind us to open our eyes and see “The Best Years of Our Lives.” Love in the end is alive, into eternity.
2017 Cannes Film Festival
- Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema (Venue)
- HK Science Museum Lecture Hall (Venue)
- Hong Kong Film Archive (Venue)
- The Grand Cinema (Venue)
- The Metroplex (Venue)
- Festival Grand Cinema (Venue)
- the sky (Venue)
- Broadway Hollywood (Venue)
- UA Cine Moko (Venue)
- MCL Telford Cinema (Venue)
- Grand Windsor Cinema (Venue)
- Chinese Subtitles
- Category III
- Post-screening discussion with the director
- Director and/or actor(s) will meet the audience
- Post-screening talk
- Full House
1. Unless otherwise stated, all films (except English-speaking films) are subtitled in English.
2. Screenings at HK Science Museum: There is no URBTIX Outlet at the venue. Tickets are available at URBTIX till one hour prior to respective screenings. Door ticket counter opens 30 minutes before the screening. Limited tickets to non-sold out screenings will be available at the door, subject to availability (Cash Only).
3. While it is the HKIFF’s policy to secure the best possible print of the original version for all its screenings, HKIFF will appreciate its patrons’ understanding on occasions when less than perfect screening copies are screened.